Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Current Rx, Part 4

Reduced Exposure to Toxins:

For most people, the majority of our time is spent at home or work.  Since you more than likely can not change your work environment completely, this post refers mostly to changes you can make at home.

Most of us expose ourselves to toxins on a daily basis. From the time we wake up and brush our teeth to the time we got to bed, our bodies are assaulted dozens of times by harmful agents.  These harmful agents sometimes come in the guise of fancy, pretty packaging where they look and smell irresistable.  These are mostly your body products, makeup and toiletries.  Have you ever thought about what you are actually washing your hair and body with?  Ever thought about the lotions you are rubbing into your body, or the makeup you put on your face?  Ever think twice about dry-cleaning?  I can't remember the last time I went to the dry cleaners, it's been at least ten years.

Skin is the human body's largest organ, it is our biggest defense against disease and infection. Even the smallest of scratches can lead to an invasion of harmful pathogens into our bodies.  Why do we then continually lather our bodies with harmful chemicals?  Because they smell good or come in a cool bottle?  Or better yet, because some celebrity has their name on it?  Don't get me wrong, I love all the bath shops as much as anybody.  Especially when they smell good enough to eat. But when you stop and think about it, would you eat your lotion?  Then why would you put it on your skin, where it is directly absorbed into your body?

Packaging that isn't so pretty and lacks celebrity endorsements, are cleaning products.  Our cupboards are filled with items ranging from dish soap to floor cleaner to fabric spray.  Many of these items are  referred to as "estrogen/endocrine disruptors".  Daily exposure to cleaning products can cause weight gain, or weight retention. (A little something to keep in mind when diet and exercise aren't working). These common household cleaning chemicals are also very harmful to children and pets.  Making your own cleaning products can save tons of money as well as being environmentally friendly.  I have been using water, vinegar and lemon essential oil to mop my floors- smells great and is so cheap! Next step is to make laundry soap, I have several friends that already do this- I think I will add Lavender and lemon oil for a refreshing clean (healthy) scent.

So visit your local health food store to see what they have as far as alternative cleaning products, both for you and your home.  My mom recently bought "castillo" soap from Trader Joes for shampoo/soap purposes. It only has a few ingredients and has peppermint oil in it!  Read your ingredients list just as you would with your food labels.  Avoid dyes, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, and parabens just to name a few. If you can't avoid dry-cleaning, check to see if they use PERC (Tetrachloroethylene).  It is a common chemical used in dry-cleaning that accumulates in body fat and causes increased risk for breast cancer.  Some great resource sites are: www.breastcancerfund.com  www.niehs.nih.gov   www.thedailygreen.com

Be kind to yourself and take care of your skin! Your, lungs, heart, brain, reproductive system, and all the teeny tiny cells- so basically your whole body- will thank you for it!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your tips on dealing with N + C naturally. I was diagnosed 11 years ago at the age of 16 and really dislike taking medications. I have tried many medications over the years and completely stop taking ANY and ALL medications at age of 20. After having my son when I was 24 and going back to school full time, I caved and went back to adderal. I only take it on an as-needed-basis but still dislike taking a stimulant. Glad I found your blog! I will be trying all of your suggestions now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Nicky! I'm glad you enjoy my blog. Good for you going back to school! I was your age when I was taking my pre-req's for nursing school, graduated when I was 27 and mother of two at the time. It's hard work but totally wrth it- Good luck, Hilary

      Delete
    2. Nicky,
      Also check out my Facebook page for more tips and health info! www.facebook.com/narcolepsynaturally
      Cheers!

      Delete