Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Current Rx, Part 2

Exercise:
The human body absolutely amazes me in its abilities and a beautiful physique is like a work of art.  Unless you're one of the lucky 1% of people just born with good genes, you have to work hard to get results.  Narcoleptics are especially challenged with the issue or risk of obesity.  Is it due to a slower metabolism, lack of energy, or poor quality of sleep?  It's probably a combination of all three I suppose.

I have come to the realization that fitness and exercise must become as much a part of my daily life, as eating and sleeping.  Nine times out of ten I do not want to, but feel so great after I do.  If I workout in the morning I have a better chance of actually getting it done.  If I wait until the evening, I let all sorts of excuses get in the way.

Exercise and I have a love/hate relationship- it loves to kick my butt, and I hate to feel like I am going to die.  I do love however, to feel my body getting stronger and more efficient. Make goals for yourself, no matter how big or small.  Work each day to obtain those goals.  Athough I do yoga and various Jillian Michaels DVDs (love to hate her, she literally kicks your butt), I'm currently trying to build my running endurance.  Each time I run I try to go a little faster or a little farther.  Shatter your current goals and set new ones everyday.  It's like a little competition against yourself.

Working out just one day a week isn't going to cut it, I hate to break it to ya.  As a narcoleptic you're looking at probably 4-5 days to maintain and 5-6 days to lose weight.  Of course you always want to consult your healthcare provider before starting an exercise program. Combine exercise with a healthy low cal nutrition program and you're on your way to feeling great. Try to drink 48-64 oz of water daily. If you currently don't exercise, start making small changes like parking farther away in a parking lot or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Your body will thank you.  Evening exercise may help you sleep better, how nice would that be?! Happy Dreams!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny, I always used to make the excuses that I was so tired and in so much pain due to all of the "abuse" I put my body through at a younger age. I was a very athletic youngster, so I also thought that that was why I was able to keep a fit, leaner body getting on in my years, but I guess I was lucky enough to get good genes as far as staying thin. Unfortunately I also got genes that made me want to sleep and be in pain all the time. Guess we can't have the world, eh? LOL! I keep telling myself I will get to the gym, but it's ever so hard to do it, and about once every couple of months or so I make it there so I keep the membership with good intentions! So glad that you are able to do so! Keep up the great work! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete