Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Current Rx, Part 1

I'm not well versed in popular N+C meds, as far as actual experiences.  I tried Provigil for about a month. It made my head buzz the first half hour after ingesting it-didn't like that too much. During the first week it kept me from having sleep attacks, but after that- the honeymoon was over.  Week two brought exhaustion- I had this "fake" stimulus and my body just wanted to crash. So I began taking a vacation day away from being medicated. I just felt like I was running a marathon, utter fatigue. With week 3 came the horrendous headaches-everyday. Call me a wimp, but I'd rather be tired than miserable.  So after talking with my husband, it was a clear choice to stop the medication. That was last April. So now my prescription is basically healthy eating, exercise, essential oils, and reduced exposure to toxins.

Healthy Eating:
By default my household has become about 90% gluten free. Well, 100% GF for my husband- the rest of us cheat a little.  About 14 months ago my husband found out that he has Celiacs and he quit eating all gluten immediately. His symptoms improved so fast and he felt so good that he hasn't looked back and isn't even tempted to cheat. So our household has evolved to be very gluten free friendly. No processed foods, no wheat flour, no wheat pasta, no soda, no bacon, no diet products, absolutely no artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup- we buy fresh or frozen veggies and fruit instead of canned. Normally we have almond milk on hand and occassionally we buy Organic lactose free milk. For us its all about simplifying- eating fresh and homemade! Just try to buy things with less than 5 ingredients listed- you will be amazed at what you've been putting into your body!

You don't have to change the way you eat overnight. Something as simple as reading ingredient labels before you throw an item into your grocery cart, can be very eye opening.  Try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, nitrates and monosodium glutamate. Replace your vegetable or canola oil with olive oil- yes you can bake with it! Replace margarine with butter (use in moderation of course). Fuel your body with healthy choices to obtain premium physiological function!

No comments:

Post a Comment