Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Keep In Mind

Although having a diagnosis of narcolepsy, with or without cataplexy, can bring disappointment and resentment- living and coping with narcolepsy doesn't have to be all bad. All too often we can become self absorbed. Do we focus on our illness and the limits that it sets, or do we push forward not letting our disability rule our lives?

I did not know much about narcolepsy prior to diagnosis. It's an interesting disorder and I have enjoyed learning about it as well as trying to spread awareness about it. This disorder doesn't just affect the individual, but also loved ones and those that a PWN interact with on a daily basis.
Sometimes our loved ones just don't get it or they simply don't understand, but we can't be too hard on them. Fortunately I have a very supportive family. It saddens me to know that this isn't always the case with fellow narcoleptics.

It's really ironic, but I truly dislike when my husband takes naps- which is only once or twice every few months. Here I am, the napping queen, and hate when my own husband takes a much needed rest. Of all people, I should be sympathetic to someone's need for a nap! It's a good thing that my husband doesn't have narcolepsy- it would be very draining on me. Which brings me to my point: It can not be easy for our loved ones to adjust to our spontaneous napping or lack of energy. I love that my husband has all the energy in the world, and envy him sometimes. It is not "poor me" that I have narcolepsy, but in fact my "poor family" that has to deal and adjust to me. Is it the worst thing in the world? No, I don't believe that it is.
I love my family so much, it's okay to me if they have to vent their frustrations about narcolepsy every once in a while. It is up to me to push through fatigue sometimes to accomplish daily tasks, as well as go above and beyond to create memories for my kids as opposed to laying on the couch. Sometimes taking just ten or fifteen minutes to complete or perform a task, as opposed to retreating to a nap, can mean so much to a loved one.

So keep in mind that narcolepsy is not just hard on you, but also the ones that you love. It is not easy to see loved ones being tired or exhausted. Maybe ask yourself, what you can do to make your disorder easier on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment