Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spirituality and Hypnogogic Hallucinations

Spirituality plays a role in narcolepsy, whether you believe in God or not. Why are demons and dark shadow figures almost always the theme with hypnogogic hallucinations? It's as if narcoleptics, when traveling between sleep states, are in fact lifting the veil of what surrounds us. It sounds sort of sci-fi, I know it's difficult to make sense of.

My dear friend, and one of the first people that I had talked about narcolepsy with, made a startling observation/remark to me. I was telling her about hypnogogic hallucinations (HH) and she stated simply, "maybe people with narcolepsy are seeing what we can't see normally, like a different dimension". At the time I really didn't think anything of it.  But the more I hear from fellow PWN's, the more it seems to be so much more than nightmares.

I don't personally suffer from HH currently, for that I am thankful. Of course I experience occasional nightmares and troubling dreams, but so does everyone. I guess what I'm trying to grasp, is why are HH so dark and scary? I have yet to hear about a HH that involved lollipops and rainbows. When PWN's address the topic of hypnogogic hallucinations, it is always with dread and involves darkness. It is indeed a curious phenomenon, for which there are no definitive answers. I'm going to ask my pastor for some spiritual counsel on this matter, as I think he may find it to be an interesting topic.

"Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4 (KJV)

5 comments:

  1. I've certainly had my fill of HH, both visual, auditory and tactile, as well as OBE's. It was about 15 years ago that I was recommended (by whom I can't recall) to put a large quartz crystal underneath my bed. I remember going into a gem shop and choosing the crystal. I had a conversation with the woman at the counter about why I was getting the crystal. She was surprised, as she thought that a crystal under the bed would be energizing and keep me up at night. When I explained my HH's, she said, "Oh, I get it now - it's like a night light to keep you safe." Yes, it was, and I haven't had the intensity or level of "scariness" of experience since. I haven't used a crystal under my bed for at least 9-10 years now, but the intensity has subsided anyway.

    I am an Angel Therapy Practitioner, and I do remember also calling in the angels to protect me and fill my room. This was about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the being (mine are more see-through figures) was still there. I believe it's not that the angels weren't present, but that the only "problem" was my own fear. What we see and experience is an interpretation based on our state of being and mind (fear-based or love-based for example). I trained myself since I was a teen not to "see" things, and even when I do readings and relay messages for people from their angels, guides, deceased loved ones, etc., I don't literally "see" them.

    Also, my experience is that when our lives are in turmoil, the intensity or "negative' experience of HH's may be higher. For example, when my mom died, my HH's became stronger, scarier, and in fact this was when a "being" was in my bed and I had a more tactile experience of it.

    I'm so happy you are addressing this aspect of Narcolepsy. Some would say Narcolepsy itself can be likened to the ancient oracles or "seers". The oracle would be in a sleepy state, coming out of it to give an oracle or prediction, then fall back to sleep. What would our experience of Narcolepsy be in different times or cultures? Is this a way we are naturally connected more deeply to the spiritual world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi & nice to meet you!
    I used to work as a Speech Language Therapist before my diagnosis Cataplexy.

    I am blessed so far with hardly any HH. Very, very grateful for that!
    Though do notice contact with essences (helpful & friendly). I also try and make sense of dreams, write them down. Might take years sometimes, but very insightful ^_^
    I also meditate to relax & sleep better. Helpful in energy & clarity too ^_^
    Thank you very much for this interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Narcolepsy and realise that this condition has a spiritual link. One day i had at least 20 attacks it was really scary someting just didnt feel right. I got down on my knees and prayed to God explaining that something was not right. As i began to pray the attacks began to worsen. I was determined to persevere in prayer and miraculously i did not have anymore attacks that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Narcolepsy and realise that this condition has a spiritual link. One day i had at least 20 attacks it was really scary someting just didnt feel right. I got down on my knees and prayed to God explaining that something was not right. As i began to pray the attacks began to worsen. I was determined to persevere in prayer and miraculously i did not have anymore attacks that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly think that we are more connected the spirit world. And may possibly be oracles

    ReplyDelete