Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I Have Narcolepsy, LOL

Hi nice to meet you, I have Narcolepsy LOL.  I can't help but giggle every time that I tell someone that I do indeed have Narcolepsy.  It's really not a laughing matter. However, I can not get offended when people laugh at me when I tell them.  It's not their fault, they don't know any better.  Portrayals of narcoleptics in the movies are inaccurate to say the least.  So it is up to us (the narcolepsy community, friends and relatives) to help spread the word and increase awareness.  By educating and informing, hopefully individuals will receive proper diagnosis within months instead of years, as is currently the norm.

Now for a little education.
Narcolepsy: Chronic neurological disorder caused by the brain's inability to regulate sleep-wake cycles normally.  (National Institutes of Health- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, brochure titled Narcolepsy. The following symptoms are paraphrased from said source as well.)

Symptoms:
EDS: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Cataplexy: Sudden loss of muscle tone commonly triggered by a sudden surge of emotion such as anger, fear, excitement, humiliation, and laughter. Individual is completely conscious even though they may appear to have "passed out". (My personal favorite)
Sleep Paralysis: Upon waking or falling asleep, temporary inability to move or speak. As with cataplexy, individual is completely conscious.
Hallucinations: Can occur with sleep paralysis or by itself upon waking or falling asleep. Vivid, delusional experiences that are mostly visual, but may also involve the other senses. An intrusion of REM into the wakeful state. Often frightening.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. There's diagnostic testing, finding the right doc, getting treatment, the harsh assortment of drugs for treatment and all of the lovely side effects they bring, work issues, disability (to qualify or not to qualify, that is the question), lack of understanding from family and friends, social implications, learning challenges, and how to beat the "lazy" label.  I've become a member of Narcolepsy Network and have found them to be a valuable resource these last few months. Also I have joined the NN group on FB. Its been great to communicate with fellow PWN's. It has also been very eye opening regarding the constant tug of war between treatment and meds vs. med side effects and ineffectiveness.

Since I have decided to not take prescription meds for my N+C, I am thankful that I do not experience the ups and downs caused by meds currently prescribed to help treat narcolepsy and cataplexy. I do feel sympathy for those that take meds to help their N and in return get horrible side effects, that they have to take yet more meds for. So the vicious cycle continues, it must be so exhausting. I do also see the people whose lives have been changed positively due to their N meds. That is a wonderful thing. Bottom line is that treatment can be a long winding road, filled with bumps along the way.

So this is my first attempt at blogging, don't hold it against me! We can learn together, or actually you can teach me... I welcome all positive and informative comments.  This blog is intended to increase awareness of N+C as well as explore natural ways of coping and healing.
Good night, sweet dreams ;)

6 comments:

  1. It's very nice to meet you and I look forward to going on this journey with you! I have just begun my meds and already am experiencing the bumps. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary,
    Love your Blog. thank you for the constant laughs, friendship and your company.....you are a beautiful person and as is your family..........your children are wonderful...........

    Your friends Lisa Uwe and Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have suffered all of the symptoms of narcolepsy but I have it under control with a raw food diet. No meds. As long as I stick to the diet I have no problems. I realised that my narc was auto immune because of my allergies. I was reacting to anything that had protein. It went straight to my brain. My brain would get very fuzzy. I could not focus or concentrate and I would go straight to sleep. could not control it . Nonstop dreaming all day long even when awake. I thought I was going crazy. This was eventually followed over time by all the other narc symptoms. My research showed that my system was not absorbing or digesting the protein because I lacked the enzyme protease. The raw food diet would build the enzymes. With allergies the body is fighting the good substances and treating them like foreign objects. So it will try to remove the protein in the brain (hypocretin). The enzymes would keep this under control. if any heat is placed to the veg the enzymes would be lost. This diet is high in fibre so it also keeps you full. IT REALLY DOES WORK. This diet was given to me by a doctor to take care of my allergies but it has worked for the narcolepsy. After about two or three weeks regular food can be used but keep using a healthy bowl of raw veg everyday along with as many different fruits as possible.

    Narcolepticon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Narcolepticon. You've raised some interesting points. Raw food diet is pretty awesome. I did it for a couple weeks when I was in nursing school (unaware that I had N). It was amazing how much energy that I had! I believe we have to make our bodies as healthy as we can so that they can perform their best! I'm starting to do a lot of organic juicing and loving it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Narcoleptic Nurse

    How have you been doing since your organic juicing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Narcolepticon! It's funny you asked me about juicing as I took a hiatus from it during the winter months. I also took a hiatus from exercise too :( However in late January I started working out at the gym, which led to better eating (not that I was eating all that horribly) and much more recently, in mid March I began juicing again. I do love it, it provides instant energy that sustains itself for a few hours until your next glass of juice ;) And when I say "energy" I mean a narcoleptics energy, not a jittery fake stimulation as with meds, but an ability to not succumb to 20 sleep attacks in a 10 minute span of time. Anyway, although I haven't worked juicing into my daily regimen, I usually make enough juice to last me for the day that I'm juicing plus the next day as well. With 6 kids, homeschooling, sports, and going to the gym daily I simply haven't been able to juice upon demand lol. Take Care- Hilary

      Delete